is a connective tissue disorder. Connective tissue is located in all organs and systems of our bodies.
- Specific areas
that are affected are: the bones, the ligaments, the eyes, the heart, the blood vessels, the lungs, the fibrous membrane covering
the brain, and the spinal cord.
- Connective tissue is weaker in Marfans people and other related disorders. (such as
Loeys-Dietz and Ehlers-Danlos Syndromes)
- Marfans is a degenerative condition. We don't age well. (Now that we are
living longer due to advanced testing, medications and surgeries, research is needed on raising the quality of life.)
laxity brings on Osteopenia and Osteoporosis. (it is also seen at much younger ages than the general population.)
for tissues to heal and rebound.
- Joint hypermobility causes tissue fragility. Hypermobility syndrome is linked to
Marfans and related connective tissue disorders. (benign joints)
- Dural ectasia is present in a large percentage of
Marfans people (even without back pain. More severe with age (36+).
- Scoliosis found in large percentage of Marfans
people. Ranges from 20 degree and greater.
- A significant number of Marfans people who have had aortic surgery can
have a higher rate of other surgeries on the aorta. (including the descending aorta)